ForPilots.Com: Aviation related software and services Download your free copy of the award winning ForPilots LogBook program today!

Download ForPilots Logbook today! Forpilots Logbook is the award-winning computerized logbook solution. The software features a simple, easy to use user interface that looks just like a paper logbook, but adds advanced statistics and reporting capabilities. Download ForPilots logbook for free!

Subject:Re: Paramotoring in the UK
From:~\\^/~
Date:Tue Sep 05 15:38:57 2000
Hi GS,

Yes, Im in the UK (West Yorkshire)

Some people say to fly heavy using your normal wing and some people say to
fly your normal weight (I.E.. on a bigger wing) to carry the extra weight of
the engine. Most people seem to fly their normal wing, and put up with a
steep glide angle and a fast landing. Choice is yours, but it will soar and
land better with a bigger wing flying within the higher weight range. A
typical motor with a 48" prop giving around 55 KGs of thrust weighs around
28 KGs. and that will get most people off the ground nicely.

You will be looking at spending 1,200 to 2,000 for a second hand motor or
2,000 to 3,500 for new one.
Some are very noisy especially the ones with the higher revving smaller
props, but the motors with the props around 48" revving at about 2,500 rpm
are usually not too noisy. Its important to get one with plenty of thrust
for your overall flying weight for the take-off.

If you fly your normal wing (flying heavy) you will probably not turn your
engine off till you come in to land because they dont glide very well
flying heavy. They feel more like a parachutal glide as they mush through
the air when flying too heavy, and it is worth remembering that the wing
will also stall easier due to the extra weight and drag. You have to keep
it at a higher air speed. Baring in mind that the wind is usually faster at
higher altitudes it not a bad thing to fly heavy and have the extra
penetration. If there is no wind you will probably prefer flying a larger
wing.
At the end of the day, you have to fly within the limits of your wing and
the weather for the weight that you are flying.

Yes, they are very heavy on your back (while on the ground) but this reduces
rapidly as soon as you start to run and the wing takes the weight off you.
Its easy to run fast with it on your back though because the engine pushes
you along as you run and the wing carries the weight. The important thing
is to just keep running as fast as you can till you lift-off. Easy enough t
o do after you have got your wing up.

There are a lot of second hand motors for sale in the UK with low hours.
The main reason for this, I think, is because there are a lot of forces
involved when flying an engine, and pilots can end up frightening theirself
with it and decide to sell it.

There is a monthly fly-in, this months fly-in is at Buckinghamshire where
you can do a 75 mile x-country (with several refuelling points and tea
stops) or just have a fly around, and you get picked up wherever you land
and you get driven back to your car. There are no club membership fees to
pay as membership of this club 100% free (and you get a free monthly
newsletter). There is just a charge of 5 for use of all the facilities on
the fly-in days. The next Fly-in is on Saturday 9th and Sunday 10th of
September 2000. There will be ample space for around 30 pilots.
There is a lot going off with Paramotors in the UK. If you get a motor you
wont be stuck on your own with it.

I suggest that you go to the fly-in (this weekend) as a spectator, and have
a look at all the motors and talk to some of the pilots. You may find
someone with one for sale while you are there.

Anyway GS, hope that little lot info has helped you,

GS wrote in message ...
>Hi All,
>
>Has anyone got any experience of paramotoring in the UK? (or rest of world
>for that matter!)
>
>What type of wing do you fly with? How much was you kit? Is it too noisy?
>(do you turn off when height reached?) Is it real heavy on the back? Any
>tips would be appreciated.
>
>A frustrated (too many light winds days) PG pilot .
>
>--
>
>GS

  [BACK] Return to the ForPilots.com archive page