ForPilots.Com: Aviation related software and services Download your free copy of the award winning ForPilots LogBook program today!

Download ForPilots Logbook today! Forpilots Logbook is the award-winning computerized logbook solution. The software features a simple, easy to use user interface that looks just like a paper logbook, but adds advanced statistics and reporting capabilities. Download ForPilots logbook for free!

Subject:Re: Osoba and dynamic soaring...
From:Cameron
Date:Tue Sep 05 21:18:22 2000
I will put on my flame retardant suite before I say this... One my many
other passions is radio controlled soaring. A very well known R/C sailplane
pilot (and previous world champion), by the name of Joe Wurts, has
successfully been experimenting with dynamic soaring for some time now. Joe
has managed to fly a R/C glider using dynamic soaring for EXTENDED periods
of time. For more information, see the email archive list at the following
links:

http://www.egroups.com/listsaver/soaring/
http://www.eclipse.net/~mikel/rcse/rcse.htm

Thank you.

Cameron

"Al Bowers" wrote in message

> I had the great fortune to listen to Gary Osoba talk at the Western
> Homebuilders Workshop this weekend about his latest work on dynamic
> soaring. I may be overstating the case, but I believe Gary (and Taras
> Kiceniuk Jr) are onto something, perhaps as fundamentally challenging
> as Paul MacCreadys original speed ring idea.
>
> While the decription sounds like the "dolphin flying" which were
> accustomed to, it is different for some radically different reasons.
> Gary and Taras think that it is necessary to fly at very high speeds,
> which rotates the lift vector very far forward. Drag is also rather
> large, so the resultant of lift and drag opposes gravity. But when a
> small vertical component of airt is encountered, the effect is to
> rotate the lift vector further forward. At this time, Gary performs a
> very strong pull, increasing G on the airframe to about 2. As soon as
> the following sink is encountered, Gary perfoms a push to 0 G. the
> theory from Taras says that sink should be countered with negative G,
> but Gary feels that an error in timing would destroy any gains he has
> made, while 0 G imposes no induced drag penalty (or minimizes the
> total drag penalty is probably a better way to put that). Gary is
> using this technique on the old Sigma open class variable geometry
> sailplane that was modified by Professor Marsden.
>
> Gary showed some data taken with an integrated GPS/barograph unit. In
> the first segment, he flew at something over 120 mph, using his 2G
> pull and 0G push technique. At the end of a 12 mile segment, he had
> lost 1000 ft of altitude. So he stopped and thermalled up (as Gary
> puts it, "thermalling is a waste of time"). Gary felt that perhaps he
> had not rotated the lift vector far enough forward, so in the second
> segment, he pushed his speed up to 183 mph. In this 16 mile run, he
> GAINED altitude. But the maneuvering is VERY dynamic, the push/pulls
> are coming every 14.4 seconds with altitude variations of 1000+ ft
> everytime. Gary described the lift that day as very normal, with no
> streeting or organization. The data was astounding.
>
> Perhaps the old adage (Ive usually heard it credited to George
> Moffat) of "fly straight ahead and climb" should be revised to "fly
> straight a head, push, pull, and climb." If you get a chance to see
> this talk, please do so.
>
> Thinking about it, it requires a coupling of the airmass (total energy
> vario, but without filtering), the sailplanes polar (at various G
> levels), and the airspeed. Gary says that the math indicates an
> optimum G level which rapidly exceeds the ability of the sailplane (or
> pilot) to perform. But even with "moderate" 2G/0G technique gary is
> flying seems to work. I could see where an LED light system operated
> by those instruments and a microprocessor could be made to indicate
> what G level should be pulled for every flight condition...
>
> Al Bowers
>
> --
> [...]

  [BACK] Return to the ForPilots.com archive page